Our free, half day, remote Showcase Events offer an opportunity to share best practice in phonics teaching.
These events will cover the following:
- A learning walk to showcase good phonics practice. For the present time, this will be in the form of a live stream or video recording until face-to-face events can resume.
- A presentation covering a) best practice, b) the whole school support offer and c) the requirements for entry into intensive support.
- Details on the validated systematic synthetic phonics programmes and the training and resources available.
- Information regarding what schools would need to do to become a partner school.
- An opportunity to reflect upon schools' own practice.
If you attend a Showcase Event, you will be asked to complete a Showcase Response form which is your opportunity to reflect on what you have seen and heard and make a request for further support from the Hub. We will use the information given on these forms to prioritise schools for intensive support and funding.
Headteacher attendance at these events is compulsory if you wish to be considered for funding or support. The events are also open to senior leaders and reading leaders. There is a maximum of two attendees per school.
Supply cover up to the value of £150 per attendee can be paid if your school meets two of the following criteria:
- Lower than average percentage of pupils meeting the expected standard in the Phonics Screening Check. 82% in 2019.
- A higher than average proportion of pupils reading below age-related expectations.
- A higher than average proportion of children eligible for pupil premium. In 2018/19 the national average was 22.9%.
- Ofsted judgement of Requires Improvement or Inadequate.
- A high proportion of groups considered hard to reach such as EAL, FSM, travellers etc.
- Schools referred by local partners such as LAs, NLEs and RSCs.
Showcase events this academic year:
Thursday 19th November 1.00pm until 3.30pm
Wednesday 9th December 9.30am until 12.00pm
Tuesday 26th January 2.00pm until 4.30pm
Please use this link to book a place.