After reviewing a school's Showcase Response form following attendance at an event, the Hub team will identify some schools to proceed to a school-based audit of reading provision to fully understand the need.
Audits are an opportunity for a member of the Hub team to spend time in a school and work one-to-one with the headteacher and other key staff to better understand their current practice and guide improvement. Discussion will be based upon the following:
- Organisation of SSP teaching, groupings and reading teachers.
- Progress and support for children receiving extra practice, with a strong focus on the lowest 20%.
- Quality of teaching.
- How phonics and early reading is monitored.
- Role of the Reading Lead.
- Resources: organisation, quality, quantity, how they are used.
We are working on a remote model for our audits for the Autumn term and will come to an agreement as to whether lessons will be observed remotely or a short observation visit take place.
Funding is available for schools to release a key member of staff to work with the member of the Hub team on the day of the audit.